Dear NMusers,

We have a position available for a PhD candidate at the Leiden Academic
Centre for Drug Research, Leiden University, The Netherlands. Please see
below, or visit:
http://werkenbij.leidenuniv.nl/vacatures/phd-posities/16-380-jobs-leiden-university-phd-candidate-in-computational-clinical-pharmacometabolomics-to-enable-precision-medicine.html

The ideal candidate has experience with multivariate analysis of large
biomedical datasets, modeling of time course data (mixed effect modeling),
and some background in pharmacology/biomedical science.

Thanks,
Coen

*PhD candidate in computational clinical pharmacometabolomics to enable
precision medicine (1.0 fte) Vacancy number 16-380*

Key responsibilities

The primary aim of this project is to develop novel metabolomic biomarkers
that may predict inter-individual variability to drug treatment response.
To this aim you will analyze various “big” datasets derived from the
Rotterdam study, a prospective population-based cohort study using
state-of-the-art data science approaches. We will focus on developing novel
methods to integrate various types of health data (e.g. patient
characteristics, metabolomics, biochemical markers, drug concentrations) in
order to derive novel insights into disease and drug action, and to improve
drug treatment in individual patients. The project will be performed at the
Systems Pharmacology Cluster, at the Leiden Academic Centre for Drug
Research, Netherlands.
Selection Criteria

   - Highly motivated individual with an interest in computational data
   science approaches, but also biology, medicine and drug research;
   - Master degree in the area of bioinformatics, applied biostatistics,
   biomedical- or (bio) pharmaceutical sciences, or bioengineering;
   - Experience in applying statistical modeling/machine learning
   approaches; preferably to biomedical problems;
   - Experience in a scripting language for data manipulation (preferably
   R);
   - Ability to work in a team and with good written English.

Research at our faculty

Our Faculty’s expertise spans the entire spectrum of science, ranging from
Mathematics and Statistical science, Computer science and Data science,
Astronomy, Physics, Chemistry and Pharmaceutical science to Biology and
Environmental sciences. We are committed to provide meaningful, rigorous
and quality academic experiences in a personalized environment with a
cutting edge research infrastructure. Students can expand their academic
horizons while deepening their expertise and knowledge in an array of
disciplines. Our faculty members are inspired by a fascination with the
unknown and the urge to enlarge our fundamental knowledge. At the same time
they want to contribute to solutions for the big societal issues of
tomorrow.
The Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research (LACDR) is a leading institute
dedicated to world-class research and education in drug discovery and
development. LACDR comprises a diverse and international team of
approximately 150 researchers and is ideally located at the Leiden Bio
Science Park, the largest life science cluster in The Netherlands. In the
2015 QS World University Ranking, the University of Leiden was listed
number 9 globally in the area of Pharmacy and Pharmacology.
For more information, see http://www.science.leidenuniv.nl. and
http://workingat.leiden.edu/. For information on the Leiden Academic Centre
for Drug research, please see http://www.lacdr.nl/.
Terms and conditions

We offer a full-time one year term position with the possibility of renewal
based on need, funding and performance. Salary range from €2,174.- to €
2,779.- gross per month (pay scale P, in accordance with the Collective
Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).

Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional
holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career
development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you
some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates
from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break.

All our PhD students are embedded in the Leiden University Graduate School
of Science (http://www.graduateschools.leidenuniv.nl/). Our graduate school
offers several PhD training courses at three levels: professional courses,
skills training and personal effectiveness. In addition, advanced courses
to deepen scientific knowledge are offered by the research school.

Diversity

Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community
and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups
Information

Enquiries can be made to dr. Coen van Hasselt, email
coen.vanhass...@lacdr.leidenuniv.nl or prof. dr. Thomas Hankemeier, email
hankeme...@lacdr.leidenuniv.nl.
Applications

To apply for this vacancy, please send an email to dr. Coen van Hasselt,
email coen.vanhass...@lacdr.leidenuniv.nl. Please ensure that you upload
the following additional documents quoting the vacancy number:
• A letter with your motivation for this position
• Curriculum Vitae
• Name and contact information of 2 references

Only applications received *no later than November 24, 2016* can be
considered.