This is a great example of the kind of terminology debates that the ASA / ISOP
Statistics and Pharmacometrics special interest group (SxP) is trying to tackle.

As Mats and Bill point out, the common usage within our community is to say
that the percentiles (5th, 95th) are “prediction intervals” and the interval
estimates / uncertainty around these percentiles are “confidence intervals”.

But as Ken points out, these terms do not strictly correspond to the
statistical definition of each if you take into account what the VPC procedure
is actually doing.

The VPC is a model diagnostic procedure for the observed data and provides a
visual check of whether the model is capturing central tendencies and
dispersion in our data. (BTW, I *know* there are debates about the usefulness
or otherwise of VPC plots. I’m not going to address that here and I suggest we
don’t disappear down *that* rabbit hole.)  We are NOT trying to make
probabilistic statements about the likelihood of observed percentiles being
within the intervals around these.  So if the question arises from some
reviewer based on our use of statistically woolly terms like “prediction
interval” or “confidence interval” we should be ready to put up our hands and
admit that the terms we are using do not imply those statistical properties.

We could advocate changing the terminology used, but that may not have traction
in the community after this length of time. But we *should* be cognizant about
what these things are, what they’re for, what the formal, statistical
terminology implies and what our use (or maybe misuse) is or isn’t implying.

The ASA / ISOP SxP group has had a session accepted at this year’s ACOP meeting
where we hope to surface a few of these thorny issues and debate between our
use of terminology in pharmacometrics, the statistical interpretation of that
terminology and whether it *really* matters. If you’re interested, please come
along and be prepared to engage in the discussion!

Best regards,
Mike
(co-chair of ASA / ISOP SxP SIG)