Nonmem needs to allocate memory for all variables stored in the MSF file. For that, it counts THETAs and ETAs and SIGMAs in the control stream. If some of them are not listed (often we do not need all parameters of the model for a specific simulation), one needs to tell the program how much memory is needed
(e.g., $SIZES LTH= 7 LVR= 2)

One can always keep all THETAs and OMEGAs in the controls stream, for example by adding dummy variable (in the ERROR block)
TEMP=THETA(5)+ETA(3)+EPS(2)....
listing all unused parameters (or all parameters)

The second problem is related to the absence of one of the MSF files. MSF options actually reads two files, FILENAME.MSF and FILENAME_ETAS.MSF. Both should be in the same file path specified in the control stream for FILENAME.MSF file.

Leonid