HI Dave,

> On Oct 11, 2023, at 20:06, Dave Taht via Nnagain
> <nnagain@lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>
> I think y'all are conflating two different labels here. The nutrition
> label was one effort, now being deploye, the other is cybersecurity,
> now being discussed.
>
> On the nutrition front...
> We successfully fought against "packet loss" being included on the
> nutrition label,

        [SM] Not wanting to be contrarian, but I consider a number for random
packet loss relevant. The Matthis equation allows to predict the maximal
achievable TCP rate over a link with random packet loss and so this has clear
bearing on a link's utility. I do agree that the TCP packet loss during an
actual speedtest is much less interesting, but random packet loss over a quiet
link is an important characteristic... I learned this the hard way when my ISP
started to route my access link occasionally over a bad router with ~1% random
packet loss (I managed to get my ISPs attention and over the course of a few
months they managed to isolate and fix the issue, but I never got a post-mortem
of what exactly had happened, all I know is that they dragged one of their
hardware vendors into the diagnostics).

> but as ghu is my witness, I have no idea if a formal
> method for declaring "typical latency" was ever formally derived.

        [SM] The easiest really is: set up reference servers outside of all
eye-ball ISP AS and distribute a measurement client that will measure against
those servers... if you want to improve upon this, locate measurement servers
into the AS of the most important transit providers and randomly select one for
each test (and report the endpoint location as part of the results).

Best Regards
        Sebastian