> On Oct 24, 2023, at 21:21, Dave Taht via Nnagain
> <nnagain@lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Oct 24, 2023 at 11:21 AM the keyboard of geoff goodfellow via
> Nnagain <nnagain@lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>>
>> ➔➔https://twitter.com/BrendanCarrFCC/status/1716558844384379163
>
> Leaving aside the rhetoric, I believe the majority of these claims on
> this part of his post:
>
> https://twitter.com/BrendanCarrFCC/status/1716884139226329512
>
> to be true. Any one question this?

        [SM] I question the inherent claim that this happened in a NN
regulatory free environment though, e.g. California added its own NN regulation
2018. A regulation that had to first win the uphill struggle against the FCC
order foregoing Title II (which also tried, finally unsuccessfully, to argue
that states have no authority to regulate the internet, while at the same time
giving up the FCC's will to regulate)... I also got reminded that the FCC only
went for Title II in ~2015, as courts had reigned in on FCC attempts to
regulate ISPs under Title I.

This is a bit of the "Preparedness paradox" where a dire situation is
predicted, everybody and their dog works hard to avoid it happening, the big
problem is avoided (due to the hard work) and uninformed folks call the initial
prediction a hoax... think Y2K and similar instances... Carr might have a point
that initial prediction might have been a tad to bleak, but come on this is how
politics works: you make your solution look (slightly) better and the
alternatives (slightly) worse and hope to convince enough so that your view
prevails, no?

> I do wish that he showed upload speeds, and latency under load, and,
> acknowledged some mistakes, at least, and did not claim perfect
> success.

        [SM] But starting out in the first sentence painting the opposing view
as a "hoax" makes it pretty unlikely that objective and reasoned data and
analysis will follow... just an observation

> Also individual states had stepped up to institute their own
> rules, and I would love to see a comparison of those stats vs those
> that didn´t.

        [SM] Also interesting, how many users ended up with state regulation
and how many without... (trying to sell access to eyeballs gets tricky if the
majority of the affluent ones end up in states with NN rules).

> The COVID thing I am most fiercely proud of, as an engineer, is we
> took an internet only capable of postage stamp 5 frame per sec[1]
> videoconferencing to something that the world, as a whole, relied on
> to keep civilization running only 7 years later, in the face of
> terrible odds, lights out environments, scarce equipment supplies, and
> illness. ISPs big and small helped too - Their people climbed towers,
> produced better code, rerouted networks, and stayed up late fighting
> off DDOSes. People at home shared their wifi and knowledge of how to
> make fiddly things on the net work well, over the internet  -
>
> Nobody handed out medals for keeping the internet running, I do not
> remember a single statement of praise for what we did over that
> terrible time. No one ever looks up after a productive day after a
> zillion productive clicks and says (for one example) "Thank you Paul
> Vixie and Mokapetris for inventing DNS and Evan Hunt(bind)  and Simon
> Kelly(dnsmasq) for shipping dns servers for free that only get it
> wrong once in a while, and then recover so fast you don´t notice" -
> there are just endless complaints from those for whom it is not
> working *right now* the way they expect.

        [SM] There are a lot of unsung heroes in most types of engineering.

> There are no nobel prizes for networking.  But the scientists,
> engineers, sysadmins and SREs kept improving things, and are keeping
> civilization running. It is kind of a cause for me - I get very irked
> at both sides whining when if only they could walk a mile in a
> neteng´s shoes. I get respect from my neighbors at least, sometimes
> asked to fix a laptop or set up a router... and I still share my wifi.
>
> If there was just some way to separate out the ire about other aspects
> of how the internet is going south (which I certainly share), and
> somehow put respect for those in the trenches that work on keeping the
> Net running, back in the public conversation, I would really love to
> hear it.

        [SM] +1