Hi Jason.

> On 9. Mar 2024, at 00:30, Livingood, Jason via Nnagain
> <nnagain@lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>
> I find it difficult to imagine a lot of consumer use cases for this (and find
> it another rather complex 3GPP spec). I can see some enterprise, industrial,
> and event (e.g. sports venue) use cases - but those seem like simple give X
> devices priority over Y devices sorts of scenarios.

[SM] Looking at the wikipedia article on slicing I see:
"Network slicing emerges as an essential technique in 5G networks to
accommodate such different and possibly contrasting quality of service (QoS)
requirements exploiting a single physical network infrastructure.[1][13]
[...]
Impact and applications
In commercial terms, network slicing allows a mobile operator to create
specific virtual networks that cater to particular clients and use cases.
Certain applications - such as mobile broadband, machine-to-machine
communications (e.g. in manufacturing or logistics), or smart cars - will
benefit from leveraging different aspects of 5G technology. One might require
higher speeds, another low latency, and yet another access to edge
computingresources. By creating separate slices that prioritise specific
resources a 5G operator can offer tailored solutions to particular
industries.[14][15]: 3  Some sources insist this will revolutionise industries
like marketing, augmented reality, or mobile gaming,[16][17] while others are
more cautious, pointing to unevenness in network coverage and poor reach of
advantages beyond increased speed.[18][19]"

As expected this technique is designed to allow exactly what NN was designed to
prohibit (treating packets differentially in the internet based on economic
considerations*)... this is IMHO why instead of calling a spade a spade mobile
carriers avoid describing this in a useful way, as it is exactly about
prioritisation... IMHO that will back fire, and a better avenue would be to be
open about what it enables and propose a method to restrict the potential
issues. E.g. (I am making this up on the fly, so it will likely not hold up to
any degree of scrutiny) by self limiting to never commit more than X% of a
cell's capacity to slicing, IFF the cell is used for normal end user service at
all. So admit that there is some trade-off here, limit the fall-out, and then
describe why we as a society should embrace that trade-off. I am a bit
sceptical about the whole car 2 car communication thing (that is cars talk to
cars, not people n cars talk to people on cars ;) ), but if a Carrier believes
there is value in that for e.g. accident avoidance, then tell how this requires
the stricter network guarantees that (only?) slicing can deliver.

Personally I still think this is not an attractive proposition, but I am not
the audience for that anyway; the relevant regulatory agency and the
legislative is.

Regards
        Sebastian

*) This is a (too) short condensation of the rationale of the EU for stepping
into the NN debate.