# NQP Proposal

Carl Mäsak and Jonathan Worthington propose to organize and host the
Nordic Perl Workshop 2011.

## Dates
18th and 19th June

## Location
The workshop would be held in Malmö, in the south of Sweden. It's
close enough for people from Copenhagen to commute, a pleasant city
by the sea and has a really twisted tower.

## Venue
We have access to a venue in Sigmahuset, located in the classy west
harbour area of Malmö. It has room for up to 150 people, and views of
the sea. It has been used to host events of a similar nature before.

## Schedule
We propose a two-day, one-track workshop. Talks would be either 20 or
40 minutes long, including time for questions. A short change-over period
would be allocated between talks to allow the workshop to run smoothly.
We will have two lightning talk sessions, one at the end of each day.

## Theme
"Perl in 2011."

## Promotion
We'll set up an Act website quickly if our proposal is accepted. The
event will be promoted via tweets, various appropriate mailing lists
(such as PM groups in the region) and, if applicable, coconut-carrying
African swallows.

## Wireless Internet
We aim to offer wireless internet at the venue.

## Coffee Breaks
Coffee breaks will be included in both the morning and the afternoon
schedule. (Coffee breaks will include the option of tea, even though
they will go under the name "coffee breaks".)

## Sponsorship
We already have two companies - Informator and Edument - who are
interested in sponsoring the event, one of them providing the venue.
We will publish a call for sponsors on the workshop website.

## Attendance Fees
The workshop will be free for speakers. We propose a nominal cost
for non-speakers (around 200 - 300 SEK). In the event we have money
left over after covering the costs of the event, we will donate it to
the YAPC Europe Foundation.

## Socializing
On the evenings, we will be able to go and socialize in one of the many
restaurants/bars in Malmö. Our relatively central location puts many of
them in easy walking distance. We will propose a location for the pre-
workshop meetup.

Beer in Sweden is more expensive than in Denmark, but cheaper than in
Norway. Also, Malmö tends to be somewhat cheaper than much of the rest
of Sweden.

In summer, the evenings will be long, and it will be warm enough to
sit outside and enjoy them.

## Transportation
Malmö is easily reachable from Denmark and many locations in Sweden
by train. Copenhagen "Kastrup" airport is situated less than 30 minutes
by train from Malmö and has flights to a wide range of destinations both
inside and outside of the Nordic countries (making the event easy to reach
for non-Nordic people). Malmö also has an airport of its own, though it's
practically useless.

The venue is located walking distance from the central station (about 10
to 15 minutes, depending on the strength of the sea "breeze").

## Accommodation
Malmö has many hotels. Booking.com has a great list, and they use Perl,
so they're awesome.

Best regards,
Carl Mäsak and Jonathan Worthington