On 4 Jul 2011, at 19:19, John Dally wrote:

> Intonation--I too discovered that recording
>   yourself really shows up intonation--I must work on that.

Interesting point, John.

I think there's a limit as to what can be done about intonation by the player
in performance.

Of course, a skilful player can always tweak a note 'on the hoof' with a bit of
instant pressure adjustment. That's occasionally useful but it shouldn't
replace whatever attention the pipes themselves require.

Lets assume that a good reed is correctly placed, that it's operating at a
suitable pressure, that some experimentation is done with some cotton wool at
the bottom of the bore, and that the player is competent and able to tune the
drones accurately. If theres still a problem, what is needed is some individual
attention to whatever hole is emitting the deficient note.

On your chanter, a little bit of wax in G and A might satisfy you a bit more. I
could be completely wrong here, since I'm not good at assessing transient
notes, and the recording is fairly overloaded. But perhaps this helps a bit.

Francis