Hello Folks

   Here's what the OED comes up with for 'rant':

   ...couE^ rant | carant, v. intr. To dance...

1. A kind of dance formerly in vogue, characterized by a running or gliding
step (as distinguished from leaping).

2.Music. The tune used for accompanying this dance, or a tune of similar
construction; a piece of music in triple time, regularly following the
Allemande as a movement of the Suite.

   1586 E. Hoby tr. M. Coignet Polit. Disc. Trueth xi. 39 The Voltes,
   courantes, and vyolent daunses proceede from furie.

   [1596 J. Davies Orchestra lxix. sig. B6^v, What shall I name those
   currant trauases That on a triple Dactyle foote doe run Close by the
   ground with slyding passages, Wherein that Dauncer greatest prayse hath
   won Which with best order can all orders shun: For euery where he
   wantonly must range, And turne, and wind, with vnexpected change.]

   1597 T. Morley Plaine & Easie Introd. Musicke 181 The volte rising and
   leaping, the courante trauising and runningaEURYENThe courant hath
   twise so much in a straine, as the English country daunce.

   1676 G. Etherege Man of Mode. i. 64, I am fit for Nothing but low
   dancing now, a Corant, a BoreA", Or a MinnuA(c)t.

   a1701 C. Sedley tr. D. A. de Brueys & J. Palaprat Grumblerii. xvii, in
   Wks. (1722) II. 185 L. You wou'd have a grave, serious Dance perhaps?
   G. Yes, a serious oneaEURYENL. Well, the Courante, the Bocane, the
   Sarabande.

   1746 E. Haywood Female Spectator (1748) IV. 304 SheaEURYENswam round
   the room, as if leading up a courant.

   c1817 J. Hogg Tales & Sketches V. 10 He dreamed of the reel, the
   jig,aEURYENand the corant.

   1880 Prout in Grove Dict. Music I. 410 As a component of the suite, the
   Courante follows the Allemande, with which in its character it is
   strongly contrasted.

   This seems to tie in well with Vickers' 'The Cow's Courrant'

   Cheers

   Anthony

   PS This is the third time since 4 o clock yesterday that I've tried to
   send this. My computer tells me it has gone but members tell me nothing
   has appeared on the list.

   Could one or two please let me know if it gets through this time.