Being a drone musician Peacock might have had an insight into the
   tonality of the tune.  The first impulse is to think he just wanted to
   fit it on the keyless chanter.  It's in Em (the relative minor of
   G).  Ending on an A, the tune is usually said to be in Am which, which,
   as Barry points out, misses the point altogether.

   Another Highland tune that moves intact to the NSP and also seems
   happier there is "The Little Cascade."  William Donaldson called it a
   Modernist masterpiece, but I think he didn't hear that the tune would
   lose all it's supposed Modernism when played against G drones, which
   fit its modality better than A drones.  Like the other meddling
   Modernist, Campbell of Kilberry, he imposed his 20th century High Art
   ideals on a music that gets along quite nicely without them.