As an aside, my wife found long ago that they go well together as a sequenced pair with a story to tell, on small harp!
Richard.

On 13/09/2011 17:54, Francis Wood wrote:
The note accompanying the fine tune 'Farewell to Whisky' appearing in the Gow
5th collection states:

"This tune alludes to prohibiting the making of Whisky in 1799.
It is expressive of a Highlander's sorrow on
being deprived of his favourite beverage".

Also in the 5th collection is the remedy to this distressing situation: 'Whisky
 Welcome back again', with the note:

"Alluding to permitting Whisky to be distilled in the year 1801.
It is a merry dancing Tune."

I seem to remember reading that the prohibition was caused by a shortage of
grain. Can anyone provide anything more specific about the relevant
circumstances in 1799 - 1801?

Francis

Text inserted by Panda IS 2011:

  This message has NOT been classified as spam. If it is unsolicited mail (spam), click
on the following link to reclassify it:
http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_19666&SPAM=true&path=C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Richard\Local%20Settings\Application%20Data\Panda%20Security\Panda%20Internet%20Security%202011\AntiSpam