I quote from Bob Fox & Stu Luckley's Box Of Gold CD notes:

   "Dollia was a popular song in Newcastle during the years 1792-94 and
   describes the leaving of the North York Militia (The Black Cuffs) and
   the arrival of the 23rd Ulster Dragoons (The Green Cuffs) and the
   effect of this on the young, and not so young, female population who
   profited from the soldiers being in the city."

   My guess is that the chorus "Dolli the dillen dol etc" is a take on hey
   nonny no/fa la la etc.etc.

   Dave Broatch