Hi Steffen,

From: "Steffen Wolfrum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [NTG-context] Again: How to make empty pages by default empty?

> >  > So I don't have to post so many (unanswered) questions any more...
> >
> >  Posting ConTeXt questions is fun, so don't stop doing this.
> >

> >  Patrick
>

> Alright! So maybe I am also allowed to send again
> one of my favorite problems from last week?
>
> Still unanswered. Still unsolved. Very interesting!
>
> To whom it may concern - don't hesitate to post an answer...
>
> Thank you all,
> Steffen
>

> Hans Hagen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >  At 10:05 19/09/2003 +0200, you wrote:
> >  >Hi Steffen,
> >

> >  > > \definepagebreak
> >  > >     [chapter]
> >  > >     [yes,header,right]
> >
> >  \definepagebreak
> >     [chapter]
> >     [empty,header,right]
>

> Sorry, but that doesn't work.
>
> When changed the minimal example to...
>
> \definepagebreak
>     [chapter]
>     [empty,header,right]
>
> \setuphead
>     [chapter]
>     [page=chapter,]
>
> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
>
> \starttext
> \startfrontmatter
>     \completecontent
> \stopfrontmatter
> \startbodymatter
> \chapter {test} \dorecurse{10}{\input tufte }
> \chapter {test} \dorecurse{10}{\input tufte }
> \chapter {test} \dorecurse{10}{\input tufte }
> \stopbodymatter
>
> \stoptext
>

> ... we have page numbers on (empty) page number 4, 18 and 19!
>
> Plus there are two strange empty empty pages before the TOC?!

If you want to get a doublesided tzpeset document you should add also
\setuplayout[location=doublesided].

I am not shure, whether the following is correct!

Empty pages at the beginning:

You start the frontmatters with the \completecontent. - I could imagine that
this is a consequence of the fact that the TOC starts always on a righthand
page. - Thus at the  moment of \startbodymatter tex is already on the first
page. But after identifying the \completecontents command will create two
page breaks in order to be able to typeset the TOC on a righthand page.

Pagenumbers on empty pages before starting a new chapter

Chapters begin on a right hand page. If the lefthand page is empty, there is
correctly still the pagenumber. I do not know whether it is possible to
check whether the page before a new chapter is completely empty. What one
should fetch is this information just before shipping this page.

What you can do is to use the \setuphead command. Either use page=no then
the next chapter will start immediately or say page=yes and the next chapter
will start on the following page which might be a left- or righthand page.

Willi