On Dec 9, 2003, at 5:39 PM, Christopher G D Tipper wrote:

On Dec 8, 2003, at 2:33 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

Am Montag, 08.12.03, um 18:20 Uhr (Europe/Zurich) schrieb Bob
Kerstetter:
ConTeXt is very attractive because of its detailed control, layers,
colors, few or no packages(!!!!!), magical developers, and on and on.
It can obvious produce PDF. Can it also produce HTML and Word from
the same document?

The normal way to get both PDF and HTML is using a XML source. You know of ConTeXts native XML mode? AFAIK you can import XML or HTML into MS Office, too, so you need no real Word DOC output. Or perhaps there's an other XML to RTF/DOC Konverter...

I know XML source should work, but at least for me, creating XML source
is unproductive. I work with a text editor and find writing this:

``Hello world,'' says HAL.

much more productive than writing this:

Maybe I'm missing something, but for writing, XML's markup requirements
-- which are invisible to field-based data entry screen -- are way too intense for hand-editing. TeX source is much less verbose. It is easier
to create, proof (both visually and audibly), spell check
troubleshoot, etc. I have not seen an editor capable of doing XML
source in a productive manner, like (La)TeX with text editor.

This is probably taboo, but surely the smart thing to do is start from Word, generate some XML with macros, and produce some HTML with stylesheets, some PDF with ConTeXt. BTW you can generate some simple Context with VB macros and hand-edit -- saves a whole load of mundane stuff. I can go from a web page to PDF in under 15 minutes using the Word macros I have for Context.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't really have a problem with Word for writing letters and the like. For large docs, however, it's just too unpredictable. Images move around. Numbered lists break. Cross references change. Formatting blows up if you even look at an end-paragraph mark (where all the paragraph info is stored). Styles revert to their defaults. Word crashes, often. My main source documents would be in a proprietary file format known for its tendencies toward corruption. I used Word for 15 years and it's just too much pain. My schedules are too tight to trust it.

But least I sound like an MS basher, Word TOCs and Tables are excellent. Mail merge to email using MAPI it cool. And I did once write a complete Windows help system generator using only Word Basic. This was before VBA, before you had to be an OO programmer to write Word macros. :)

These days I keep Word for Windows safety contained in a Mac OS X Remote Desktop Connection window. ;-)