At 21:46 01/05/2004, you wrote:
Hi all,

though I'm not 100 \% certain, I think this behavior came up in the latest release of ConTeXt. For my manuscripts for talks, I have defined a nice little counter like this

\newcounter\slidecounter

\define\sln{\increment\slidecounter \color[red]{[\slidecounter]} }

which allows me to just type \sln when I want to mark a spot where I want to show a new slide, and it will give the number in red, between brackets. OK, this has been working for quite a while, but recently, I have observed a strange behavior: if I use the command within an itemize-group, it will count normally, but after the \stopitemize, the counter will be reset to the value before the itemization. I can't swear to it, but I'm reasonably certain that this wasn't the case before. Is it possible that something was broken, Hans?

Best wishes (especially to our new fellow-citizens)

use \doglobal\increment instead

(also, use names like \Sln so that there will never be conflicts with existing macros; i wouldnot be surprised if there will be a math function sln some day)