Hans Hagen wrote:
>> (BTW I've already produced all expanded version with fontinst)
>>
> wait for the new pdftex (or grab a test versions soemwhere): it has auto
> expansion included, and there i sno need any more to create the
> instances yourself (doen within pdftex)!

Yes, I know. Of course this is an improvement. But I've already set it up
-- so why not use it?

Nevertheless it seems to me that there're several problems still. I'm using
now:
This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.20a-rc7.2-2.2
ConTeXt  ver: 2004.8.15  fmt: 2004.9.12  int: english  mes: english

Sometimes the hyphen is not protruded at all. BTW where do I define in
ConTeXt my font specific microtypographic values? In LaTeX I wrote
  \input{protcode-helvetica}
  \input{efcode-helvetica}
  \pdfprotrudechars=2
  \pdfadjustspacing=2
  \def\setupfont{\setprotcode\font}
  \def\setupEFfont{
     \setprotcode\font
     \resetefcode\font
     \pdffontexpand\font 20 20 5}

>> If ConTeXt is using the new german spelling & hyphenation rules then:
>> *§108* If ss stands for ß, then it will be hyphenated s-s. E.g., Grüs-se
>> (instead of Grü-ße), heis-sen (instead of hei-ßen).
>> *§109* The connection of consonants ch, ck, and sch, and also in foreign
>> words with ph, rh, sh, and th will not be hyphenated in between if they
>> stands for a single sound. E.g., Bü-cher, Zu-cker, ba-cken, Fla-sche,
>> Ma-che-te, Pro-phet, Myr-rhe, Ca-shew-nuss, ka-tho-lisch.
>>

> so .. what are the proposed changes to the german language specifics in
> enco-fde.tex?

Mmh, I'm that familiar with ConTeXt ;-) Hopefully the patterns will do
most.
But of course
  \installcompoundcharacter "ck {\discretionary {k-}{k}{ck}}
should be changed to
  \installcompoundcharacter "ck {\discretionary {-}{ck}{ck}}
((ck should always stay as it is; maybe one even don't need this def
anymore))

Ulrich