Christopher Creutzig wrote:

Salvete,

I tried upgrading to pdfTeX 1.20a on my powerbook. I built the binaries successfully and placed them and their pool files into some temporary location and I was able to build ConTeXt formats. Unfortunately, pdftex.map was not found, generated files have just lots of empty pages.

I did try "sudo texmfstart textools --fixtexmftrees", but that did not move pdftex.map from its place in dvips/config. I tried to follow the NEWS file in the pdftex distribution, but that only lists two non-existant URLs at tug.org to find information. The list archive of tex-live seems to have moved and to be inaccessible to non-subscribers. Not wanting yet another mailing list, I just don't have access to this vital piece of information, which imho should be listed right in the NEWS file.

textools --fixtexmftrees c:\tex\texmf-local [--force]

and alike will fix the tree (map files are now under /fonts/map) and you need to change the texmf.cnf file accordingly

TEXPSHEADERS = .;$TEXMF/{fonts/{enc,map,type1,truetype},dvips,pdftex,tex}//;$TEXMF/{etex,tex,pdftex,dvips,fonts/type1}//
TEXFONTMAPS = .;$TEXMF/{fonts/map//,fontname};$TEXMF/{pdftex,dvips}/config;$TEXMF/{pdftex,dvips}//

TEXCONFIG         = .;$TEXMF/{fonts/map,dvips,pdftex,dvipdfmx,dvipdfm}//
PDFTEXCONFIG      = .;$TEXMF/pdftex/{$progname,}//
DVIPDFMINPUTS     = .;$TEXMF/{fonts/map,dvips,pdftex,dvipdfmx,dvipdfm}//