Patrick et al,

I got around my last problem by defining a new typing environment, so the
idea below is almost working the way I want. I have:

\startbuffer
>> x=linspace(-2,4);
>> y=x.^2-2*x-3;
>> plot(x,y)
>> xlabel('x')
>> ylabel('y')
>> title('y = x^2 -2x -3')
>> grid on
\stopbuffer

\placesidebyside{%
  \framed[align={lohi,right},
    frame=on,
    offset=10pt,
    background=screen,
    screen=0.8,
  foregroundcolor=darkred]{\typebuffer}}
{\externalfigure[slide1.pdf]}

My graphic slide1.pdf is about the right size, so I didn't have to adjust
its width. However, I'd like the graphic to be centered in the remaining
room available. Anyway of doing that?

I lieu of centering, is there some way I can get a little bit of space
between the typebuffer and my graphic?