Hi,
This has bugged me for a number of years and I have only just realised the exact cause. Previous requests to solve table and figure spacing problems are all due to this I think. Basically the hyperreference in the first character of a paragraph mangles the paragraph formatting.

Below is a minimum (I think) file which demonstrates the problem very clearly.

\setupinteraction[state=start]
\setupwhitespace[big]
\starttext
\input tufte
\startbuffer[]
\bTABLE[width=2.5in]
\bTR \bTD \input tufte \eTD\eTR
\eTABLE
\stopbuffer
\placetable
  [right]
  [tab:1]
  {A Table}
  {\getbuffer[]}
\input tufte

\in{Table}[tab:1] this paragraph does not format correctly because the hypereference is at the first character of the paragraph. Note that the spacing (before) is incorrect as well as the width.

T\in{able}[tab:1] this paragraph does format correctly because the hypereference is not using the first character of the paragraph.

\input tufte
\stoptext

TIA

Nigel King