* Adam Lindsay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [Dec 01, 2004 16:40]:
> > > Bernd, I'll forward the thing I've come up with off-list. It builds
> > > on the TIPA fonts in the LaTeX package.

> > This is a bit heretical I know but couldn't one just use a
> > \font\foo=nameoffont at 12pt
> > type statement?

> Wow, this was a blast from the past.

> Nothing wrong with that, as such, but I asked Sjoerd, the original
> poster, about his use patterns. He actually didn't use the tipa encoding
> shortcuts (the mapping of characters directly to glyphs in the fonts,
> '@'), but rather the named glyphs (\textschwa). So I focussed on that at
> first.

> Now that I have learned a lot about ConTeXt's character system and
> Unicode, I see a lot that I could have done differently. But then again,
> it's also not the worst foundation for doing further work. (Such as
> hooking it in with Unicode. I'd have to put the tip jar out in order to
> take that on in the near future, though!)

> John, why the sudden interest in a 6-month old post?

Em, I don't want to push this too hard, but I'd be interested in a
Tipa work-alike (or something similar) for ConTeXt as well.  I'd
especially like the mapping part, rather than named glyphs, as it would
make more sense in the "source" of the document, for me at least.

Thanks for taking an interest in this Adam,
        nikolai

::: page: www.pcppopper.org  :: fun atm: gf,lps,ruby,lisp,war3 :::