Hi John,

Your format is probably missing the hyphenation patterns for english
(I ran into the same problem last week):

# texexec --make en .... language : no patterns en for en (n=1) (lang-en.pat,ukhyph.tex language : no hyphenations en for en (n=1) language : no patterns uk for uk (n=2) (lang-uk.pat,ukhyph.tex language : no hyphenations uk for uk (n=2)

John Culleton wrote:
I noted that context seems to be most reluctant to hyphenate. So I ran a test file through plain tex, pdftex and Context and checked the results. Context hyphenated less than the other two.

The manual does not say much about hyphenation. I am using a fresh TeXLive install.

Here is the top part of the log----------------------------------------------- This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.20a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.3) (format=cont-en 2004.12.28) 28 DEC 2004 17:14
entering extended mode
%&-line parsing enabled.
(/usr/TeX/texmf/web2c/natural.tcx)
**&cont-en hypph.tex
(./hypph.tex

ConTeXt  ver: 2004.11.17  fmt: 2004.12.28  int: english  mes: english

language       : language en is active

\hsize 2in
\input knuth.tex
\bye

It seems to act as if the hyphenation dictionary weren't here. If I put in a discretionary hyphen Context will use it.