On 29 Dec 2004, at 14:41, John Culleton wrote:

Could someone tell me how I can use the \definesortkey command or for that matter any other ConTeXt mechanism to define sortrules for individual indices?

You might want to look into a separate program called Xindy. It more or less
replaces Makindex in plain and LaTeX applications, but it could be used in
Context most likely. It is specifically designed to address the situations
you described, i.e. non-Western European sort rules.

Thanks for the quick reply, John.

Xindy looks like a great program and provides great solutions. The problem is that I can't seem to get it to work on my Mac OS X machine. A quick look through the xindy mailinglist gave me the impression that no one has been able to get Xindy to run on Mac OS X yet.

Could somebody maybe tell me just how the \definesortkey command works? Do I have to define a specific encoding or create "languagespecifics" in order for TEXEXEC or TEXUTIL to use it?

I would imagine that ConTeXt must be able to sort a norwegian words in a separate register say "\indexnw{kr{\o}ypa}}" differently from the english index entries in general \index{} register.

Sjoerd