Hans,

Thanks for your quick reply. I adapted the file, according to your suggestion. The letter now comes out right! Thank you for that. I immediately tried an items list, which also works!

Still, if there is any \ code in the xml file, it does not seem to work.
Changing \"e to ë in Drie\"eenheid makes the ë disappear.

<contact ...>
</contact>

comes out as:

Laan der Drie“”eenheid

I also found out that \usemodule[m-letter] works much better than \usemodule[letter], which is not evident from the way is Context set up.

Thanks again,

Robert

%starttext \setups [letter:place] \stoptext \endinput
\setupoutput[pdftex]
%\tracelayerstrue
%\usemodule[xtag-ini]

\usemodule[corres]
\usemodule[m-letter]

\mainlanguage[nl]
\setupbodyfont[ss]

%\setvariables[letter:head][graphic=briefpapier-mo-p.010.pdf]

\definelayer
  [letternext]
  [state=next,
%  graphic=briefpapier-mo-p.011.pdf,
   width=\paperwidth,
   height=\paperheight]

\setvariables
  [letter:reference]
  [line=2,
   noflines-min=2,
   noflines-max=5,
   noflines=\getvariable{letter:reference}{noflines-max}
  ]

\setvariables
[letter:style]
[opening=formal,
closing=formal]
%\setvariables
%  [letter:data]
%  [opening=,
%   initials=,
%   prefix=,
%   suffix=,
%   informalname=,
%   formalname=]
%   noflines=10]

\setvariables[letter:address][line=6, hoffset=100mm,width=70mm]

%\startsetups[contact:handle]
%\XMLflush{address} \endgraf
%\stopsetups

%\startbuffer[texletter]
%\input brieftekst-pol-jan2005
%\stopbuffer

\setvariables
[letter:data]
[address=\XMLflush{address},
%prefix=\XMLflush{prefix},
%initials=\XMLflush{initials},
%formalname=\XMLflush{formalname},
%informalname=\XMLflush{informalname}
%content={\getbuffer[texletter]},
%,content=\getbuffer
concerns=Ge\"interesseerd?, date=10 januari 2005, author=Dr. R.J.H.M. Ermers
]

\setvariables[contacts][selection=n, file=test-data.xml]

\startsetups[contact:handle]
\setups[letter:place]
\stopsetups

\startsetups[letter:content]
\input brief-inhoud-test.tex
\stopsetups

\startsetups[letter:place:content]
  \bgroup \disableXML \endgraf \setups[letter:content] \endgraf \egroup
\stopsetups

\XMLprocesscontacts[test-data.xml]

\starttext
%\setups[letter:place]