Is it possible to determine if texexec is being run on a product or a
component and have optional processing similar to different modes?

I have a large project comprising quarterly reports and technical
notes.  Essentially, I have the following structure:

project = MyProject
  |- product = Reports
     |- component1 = year2005, chapters 1-n
     |- component1 = year2006, chapters 1-n
  |- product = TechNotes
     |- component1 = note1, sections 1-n
     |- component1 = note2, sections 1-n

I would like to be able to typeset a component differently depending
on whether it is passed directly to texexec or whether I am processing
the complete product.  For instance, in each technical note, I would
like a title page, table of contents, list of abreviations, and list
of references generated if I typeset the component separately.
Conversely, when processing the product TechNotes I want a master
table of contents, list of abbreviations and list of references
generated for the set of components.  Is it appropriate to want to do
this or have I misunderstood the role of projects, products and
components entirely.

Cheers,
Randall