On Mar 2, 2005, at 10:59 AM, Adam Lindsay wrote:

Hold on one minute... we're talking about encodings for alternate glyphs,
right? That's orthogonal to what Unicode is about. 'a' and 'Asmall'
pretty much take up the same unicode "slot". Only 'a' appears in the
.cmap.xml file.

No, of course you're right. I thought that they were given a value in the FFxx range, but that's not right; they don't appear in the cmap, only in the afm. So the only thing I can think of: there are only so many ways to refer to small caps, Xsmall or X.small or X_small or even X-small. We could provide alternatives for that in perl, making additions as we go. It's a brute-force attack, kind of aiming with a machine gun, but since fonts are such moving targets...

Now that would be a useful thing, regardless. I don't know, but I'll have
a look. I suspect we'll have to create one ourselves. An idle thought
(with the corresponding devilishness) occurs to me: all that information
is in ConTeXt already. Hmm...

What form would be the best? Some simple XML? A perl-friendly list?

For the time being, I'm thinking of a very simple list that could just serve as a pattern for arranging the lines I get from processing the cmap.xml. I'm just thinking, not writing code yet...

Best

Thomas