On Mar 11, 2005, at 18:20, Adam Lindsay wrote:

Gerben Wierda said this at Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:54:38 +0100:

But my way also doesn't work. I get empty output as a result of the
\bit{b}{off} command.

Help?

This is probably not satisfying, because you probably want to get new mathematics commands working, but if this is to be used solely in text, you could use (or expand to): b\low{off}

\low (and \hi and \lohi) look like they work robustly in both math and
text modes.

I'll see. I wonder if it will look the same. Especially in terms of font. Do I get the same font in both sides? Do I get the same kerning?

I'm a bit confused by you using \newcommand in your (ConTeXt?) examples,
though...

Yes, strange, isn't it? It just works. I copied one accidentally over and it worked. So I kept using it.