David Wooten wrote:

I'm back to ask another question:
After an initial successful installation of the purchased fonts, I've come to find that there is a serious quirk. That is, when I try to use any special glyph, be it an accented character of any kind, or e.g. an eth. The result of something like \"a (or \"{a}) is _a_ without the diacritic. Curiously (to me, at least:), if I enter the actual glyph: ä, it gives me the character I need…but only for a few runs! After adding a couple more of such "alternative" glyphs, it starts to show gibberish. Some trials evince an ff-ligature as the diacritic. Errors in the mapping/virtual font/…?

i can imagine interference between input encoding and remapping (map/enc file) later in the pipeline, but what puzzles me is that different runs produce something different; sounds more like an os/caching problem