Dear folks,

The dvips/dvipdfmx problem is not limited to aleph in the latest ConTeXt:

===========test-3==========
\setupoutput[dvi]

\starttext

abc

\stoptext
===========================

gives

===========================
$>dvipdfmx test3

test3.dvi -> test3.pdf
[1** Fatal error: Could not locate a virtual or a physical font file for
'ec-lmr
12'.
** ERROR **

$>dvips test3
This is dvips(k) 5.94b Copyright 2004 Radical Eye Software
(www.radicaleye.com)
dvips: ! Couldn't find header file tex.pro
===========================

I suppose that the transition to lmr is at the root of this. Anyway, I think
my own problems have been reduced to the following 4:

1. supp-dir needs to be modified or made into an optional module (e.g.
m-xetex) (so I don't have to modify it every time I update ConTeXt);

2. aleph needs to be taught;-) to look for its format in its own subdirectory
(related: an aleph.ini should be included so that the plain aleph.fmt can be
compiled. I also think the minimal context should support plain.fmt, which
helps in testing etc. right now manfnt is missing);

3. dvips/dvipdfmx need to be taught how to find lmr (and perhaps other fonts?
a complete font torture test before every release and for users to do their
own testing is desperately needed I think. );

4. In order to use Gamma, either

i. the basic omega files (with aleph replacing omega.exe) should be included
in mswincontext.zip; or

ii. I need to know how to get the \ConTeXt tree to properly search the
\TeXLive tree for the omega files (and for other fonts like cmr, etc).
Strangely, I was able to get \TeXLive\...\texmf.cnf configured to read the
\ConTeXt tree, but I was not able to get \ConTeXt\...\texmf.cnf to be able to
read the \TeXLive tree. Any idea why?

Many many thnx to Hans for all his hard work; I look forward to a reliable
ConTeXt:-)))

Best
Idris