Sorry for going off topic, but since it is a concern ...

Using a linux distribution with an intelligent package/dependencies
handling system such as Gentoo or Debian would end your updating
woes for all time. In debian testing

apt-get install inkscape

downloads and installs inkscape 0.41 and updates all dependencies
automatically and in Gentoo

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -ua inkscape

downloads the source of inkscape 0.41 and all required dependencies and
compiles them (taking a lot of time of course). Without going to the
testing distribution ("~x86") you get 0.37

Comparing the two, the debian testing distribution has never been less
than stable while gentoo testing is updated faster, but has given me trouble
at some points.

Sorry for the noise if this is inappropriate information for this list,

Johan

--
Johan Sandblom  N8, MRC, Karolinska sjh
t +46851776108  17176 Stockholm