Randall Skelton wrote:

> I've fiddled with almost every parameter in sethead but cannot seem to
> find the correct one.  I'd like to suppress the chapter numbers in a
> relatively large document such that numbering of sections, tables,
> figures and equations begins at 1 instead of 1.1.  Is there a simple
> way to do this?

Hi Randall. It's a slightly confusing one - this behaviour is actually
controlled via the \setupsection command, which deals with the
high-level behaviour of sectioning commands like \chapter and
(confusingly!) \section. The setup you want is

\setupsection[section-3][previousnumber=no]

The rationale is that \part is section-1, \chapter is section-2 and
\section is section-3. See the manual entry for \setupsection for more info.

Duncan