Hi Hans

>===== Original Message From Hans Hagen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =====
>> TABLE produces a spurious dot in the following (look closely at the center
of

>the dot is a division line between your span

I replaced \VL with \DC and the dot disappears. There is still something wrong
with \DL \DC \DR. Look very closely at the right edge of the attached table:
There is a gap between 2 stacked vertical lines instead of one. If you
exchange the commented line with the one below it disappears (I suspect that
\VL overwrites the \DR). Interestingly, the gap appears to be the same size as
the spurious dot-)

See also absolute page 42 of the ConTeXt excursion. In the typeset table, to
the right of `Table', the same gap appears. (I have not tested your new code
yet to see if this resolves that)

Thanks as always for your help!
Idris

% output=pdf interface=en

\setuppagenumbering[state=stop]

\starttext

\setupfloats[location=middle]
\placetable
[here][tab:sciences]{There is a spurious dot in the big box.}
\starttable{|c|c|c|}
\HL
\VL     {test}  \VL \TWO{}     \VL\FR
%\DL             \DC            \VL\DR