Many thanks for pointing this out Michel.  I must admit that this is
proving to be much more complicated than I thought... Reading Hans'
"ThisWay" document makes it appear that getting usable bold-faced math
fonts is only a few lines of definitions... perhaps I should just look
at buying the lucida collection.

For the moment, I've settled on a compromise of using:

  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Letters]         [futr8t] [encoding=ec]

and

  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Letters-Bold]         [futmib] [encoding=ec]

With this I can get bold greek symbols (both upper and lower case) but
as you pointed out, operators will be italicized if one isn't careful.
 Sigh.

> Now (one of) the difference between fourier and computer modern is that
> capital greek is in the "italic" font not in the operators font.
>
> This is handled in math-fou.tex:
>
> \definemathsymbol [Gamma]   [alpha] [mi] ["00]

In an earlier reply, you suggest that I define:

  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Letters-Bold]         [futb8t] [encoding=ec]

but doing so doesn't work as the capital greek symbols... I'm a little
confused why the substitutions defined in math-fou.tex are not applied
in this case?  I need bold \Gamma and \Xi characters in my equations
which is why I began looking at all this.

I did read through math-fou.tex and mat-lbr.tex but didn't follow some
of the definitions.  I  don't understand why the \definemathsymbol
definitions are not applied in this case?  I tried to find insight in
math-lbr.tex but just got confused.

> Note that futmi, and futmii (or futmib futmiib) are two versions of the
> same font (same encoding): the difference is that in futmmii all is
> slanted (even greek caps), and in futmii caps are upright (roman and
> greek) and lowercase are slanted.

I finally realized that when I remembered the existance of \showfont
earlier today.  This also helped me see where the \definemathsymbol
statements in math-fou.tex come from.

> If you want command definitions in math-fou.tex to be used even in
> boldmath, you must change type-spe.tex by referencing the fou math
> collection in boldmath too.

I'm not sure I follow.  My type-spe.tex contains:

\starttypescript [math,boldmath] [fourier] [special]
  \usemathcollection[fou]
\stoptypescript

Many thanks for your help.

Randall