Stuart Jansen wrote:

I'm working on a rather complex document containing frequent use of
positional graphics. Unfortunately, I've discovered what I expect will
be a pretty nasty problem to fix. When I combine horoffset,
startitemize, & positiongraphics the graphics are placed in the wrong
spot. I've managed to cook up the simple test case below which
demonstrates the problem.

===============
\setuplayout[ horoffset=.5cm ]
\setupcolors[state=start]

\defineoverlay [backgraphics] [\positionoverlay{backgraphics}]
\setupbackgrounds[page][background=backgraphics]
\newcounter\CurrentCallout
\startMPpositiongraphic{mypos:line}
 path p ; initialize_box(\MPpos{\MPvar{from}}) ;
 p := lrxy..urxy..ulxy..cycle ;
 p := center p shifted (-.5cm,0mm) -- center p ;
 pickup pencircle scaled 2pt ;
 drawarrow p withcolor red ;
 anchor_box(\MPanchor{\MPvar{from}}) ;
\stopMPpositiongraphic
\def\myitem%
{\doglobal\increment\CurrentCallout\item
\hpos{myitem:b:\CurrentCallout}{\strut}
\startpositionoverlay{backgraphics}
 \setMPpositiongraphic{myitem:b:\CurrentCallout}{mypos:line}
\stoppositionoverlay}

\starttext
\startitemize[n,serried]
\dorecurse{30}{\myitem\input tufte }