  \pushmacro \dohandleaccent
  \pushmacro \dohandlecommand
  \pushmacro \dohandlecharacter
  \keepencodedtokens
  \edef\tempa{#1}%
  \popmacro \dohandleaccent
  \popmacro \dohandlecommand
  \popmacro \dohandlecharacter
  \expandafter \uppercase \expandafter {\tempa}%
  \egroup }

Thank you, Taco!

I cannot judge about the elegance of the solution as I have never seen
any elegant TeX macro definitions :), but it works (at least on my
examples) which is the most important part. Also the cp1250 regime
(where no mappings were defined) is now happy with it :)
i'll add a sightly shorter variant to the kernel; i'll also fix teh case map tables since they have holes and wrong entries (nobody ever checked those chars i never use-)

Is this still relevant? Well, as it was only 11kb, I attached it anyway.
i googled a bit -)