Hans Hagen wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to define an accented rotated character e,
> > "schwagrave". The following definition fails because of two reasons:
> > - rotate rotates around the middle of the baseline (I would like to
> > place the rotated e at the same place where it was before)
> > - buildtextaccent doesn't like the box produced by rotation
>
> there are many ways to rotate ...

Thank you, Hans. It was actually \hbox in the examples which solved
the first part of my problem. I already tried different location=*
out, but I was confused by the fact that some of them behaved pretty
strange without \hbox. An example:

% location = depth, fit, broad, normal, high
a\rotate[rotation=180,location=broad]{e}i\par
a\rotate[rotation=180,location=broad]{\hbox{e}}i

(I can well imagine that this is the intended behaviour when mixing
writing directions. I was just a bit confused and thought that I was
missing some other parameter which wouldn't need an additional hbox.)

So now that I have the properly rotated letter, is it possible to do
the following:

% U0259 LATIN SMALL LETTER SCHWA
\definecharacter schwa {\rotate[rotation=180,location=high]{\hbox{e}}}
\definecharacter schwagrave {\buildtextaccent\textgrave{\schwa}}
\schwagrave

Thank you,
    Mojca