Peter Rolf wrote:

Hi all,

I've tested the latest version of \limitatefirstline and it still
doesn't work as expected. This is really a complex story (problem).

- the clip mechanism cuts off the lowest part of some special chars
 (clipping graphics is easy, but I don't understand what happens here)
- text is sometimes cropped at word boundaries (example 110pt),
 instead of beeing clipped

The example file is appended and I use the latest beta. There is no
timeline, so fixing is not that urgent.

add some struts:

  \setbox\scratchbox\hbox{\begstrut#1\endstrut}%
  \ifdim\wd\scratchbox>#2\relax
    \setbox\scratchbox\hbox{\begstrut#3\endstrut}%

and remove your funny voffset Hans