OK, I'm answering my own post. The plot thickens. It looks like this has something to do with file names. It only happens when I have a name with a period in it. Thusly, file 05.11.08.tex will not run MP to PDF, when I copy the exact same file to 05_11_08.tex, everything works as it should.

This may have something to do with the fact (as I just found out) that newtexexec doesn't even want to touch these files. I have two identical files in a directory, one called 05.10.18.tex, the other 05_10_18.tex. Here's what happens when I run newtexexec on them:

TeXExec | processing document '05.10.18.tex'
TeXExec | runtime: 0.006379

(and that's it. No output, no action)

TeXExec | processing document '05_10_18.tex'
TeXExec | tex processing method: context
TeXExec | TeX run 1
TeXExec | tex engine: pdfetex
TeXExec | tex format: cont-en
TeXExec | progname: context
This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.3-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5)
\write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
(./05_10_18.tex

ConTeXt  ver: 2005.09.08  fmt: 2005.9.9  int: english  mes: english

[snip]

and so on.

Bug or feature? You decide, Hans!

Best

Thomas

On Sep 12, 2005, at 5:45 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

This one hast just cost me two hours, and I'm still baffled. The story (in shorthand): was trying to integrate a positional metafun graphic into a presentation. I got no output. I tried making a minimal example file to reproduce the problem, and sure enough, everything went fine. I rebuilt the entire file, by pasting one paragraph of the original file at a time, and I got exactly the output I wanted. [Drumroll] I deleted the original file and everything associated with it [i.e. all those .tui and .tuo etc.], saved the new file from my /tmp directory to my working directory, and -- I got no output again. diff shows that both files are identical. Looking at the logs, there's only one difference I can spot:

< \openout5 = `test-mpgraph.mp'.
---
> \openout5 = `05.11.08-mpgraph.mp'.
205,206c206,207
<  [MP to PDF] (./test-mpgraph.1) [MP to PDF] (./test-mpgraph.2)
< [MP to PDF] (./test-mpgraph.3)
---
>  [MP 05.11.08-mpgraph.1] [MP 05.11.08-mpgraph.2]
> [MP 05.11.08-mpgraph.3]
211c212
< systems         : end file test at line 426
---
> systems         : end file 05.11.08 at line 426
213c214
< [flush and process test-mpgraph.mp afterwards] )
---
> [flush and process 05.11.08-mpgraph.mp afterwards] )

The "MP to PDF" part is missing from the file 05.11.08, which might explain why I don't see anything in the resulting pdf. But why? Can anybody enlighten me why the same file can behave differently? And how I can coax ConTeXt into running this MP to PDF thingy? Thanks

Thomas