> On 30 Nov 2021, at 14:38, Denis Maier via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
> wrote:
>
> Thanks, Taco. Good to know. Although it's not what I wanted to hear, of
> course...
>
> I was thinking using mp to draw the combination could be solution, but
> unfortunately I don't know metafun yet.
>
> If my understanding of https://source.contextgarden.net/node-rul.mkiv is
> correct, it should be possible to build upon the defintion of
> rules:under:dots (l. 327) Any hints how I could get this started?

Yes, that is the right part to get started with. You could just copy the whole
\startuseMPgraphic and rename it for editing (to let’s say
rules:under:bardots), then do

  \definebar[underbardot]    [undergraphic][mp=rules:under:bardots]

and play with the mp until you are happy with the output.

But the problem is that you have to create an “underbardot" that contains both
the bar and the dots, to fix the non-nesting problem. It is then quite hard to
get that definition to align properly with any enclosing “underbar” (I tried
something like that a while ago and basically gave up. I did not want to spend
a whole of time on it so I just told the client “computer says no").

> Another question: what do you mean with a dy-shift version?

Nested bars have a parameter ‘dy’ which controls the vertical shifts needed to
make sure that they do not overlap. Text backgrounds do not have that option at
all.

—