Joel,

You may not have done anything wrong; this may be an issue with
ConTeXt-SBL. In my code for the btx:sbl:cite:footnote setup in
publ-imp-sbl.mkvi, I added a comment to this effect:

```
\startsetups btx:sbl:cite:footnote
  \removeunwantedspaces

\doifinstring{\btxparameter{punct}}{\btxparameter{autopunctuation}}{\btxparameter{punct}}
  \begingroup
  \letbtxparameter{punct}\empty % don't pass the trailing punctuation down
to the inline setup
  \let\doifendswithpunctelse\btx_sbl_doifendswithpunctelse % why is this
necessary? For some reason, \btx_sbl_doifendswithpunctelse is not
recognized within the footnote environment...
  \startfootnote
    \Word{\fastsetup{btx:sbl:cite:inline}}% capitalize the first word in
the footnote (needed to render "Ibid." and "Idem" correctly)
    % Add a closing period, unless the righttext ends with punctuation
    \doifendswithpunctelse{\btxparameter{righttext}} {
      \removeunwantedspaces
    } {
      \removeunwantedspaces
      \btxperiod
    }
  \stopfootnote
  \endgroup

\doifnotinstring{\btxparameter{punct}}{\btxparameter{autopunctuation}}{\btxparameter{punct}}
\stopsetups
```

I define the \btx_sbl_doifendswithpunctelse macro earlier in the module.
Initially, when I tried to invoke this macro within the \startfootnote ...
\stopfootnote environment (to conditionally add a period at the end of a
footnote citation if it does not have a righttext ending with punctuation),
I got the same error you got, but for \btx_sbl_doifendswithpunctelse. I
wasn't sure why this was happening, so I tried defining a new
\doifendswithpunctelse macro. Unfortunately, based on your e-mail, it looks
like this doesn't actually fix the problem.

Any help from other developers would be appreciated here! Unfortunately, I
don't have a MWE replicating the problem on hand at the moment.

Joey