On 1/3/22 10:43 AM, hanneder--- via ntg-context wrote:
> For the last two decades edmac and its further developments (now
> reledmac) have become the standard for critical editions. In my
> experience the basic requirements for typesetting critical editions
> were and are:
>
> - footnotes have to be formatted in paragraphs
> - multiple footnotes layers stacked below the critical text must be possible
> - automatic reference to linenumbers
> - or: manual references to verse numbers
> - language specific requirements (more complicated, see below)

Hi Jürgen,

not knowing which are the specific requirements for the language you
use, I think all of these may be achieved in ConTeXt LMTX.

> In the last years new requirements have been added:
>
> - some funding institutions in the academic world practically enforce
> online editions
> - data have to be made available in TEI xml format

Sorry for asking the basic question: what are online editions?

I mean, does uploading a PDF document count as an online edition?

As you may already know, ConTeXt can deal with XML sources (see
»Kritische Editionen mit TEI xml und ConTEXt« by Thomas Schmitz (2011)
[https://bugs.freedesktop.org/attachment.cgi?id=72857]).

ConTeXt might also output XML. But this is much harder in practice. All
I know about it is what Hans wrote bout this.

> This is why I was curious to see about the status of critical
> edition in ConTeXt. I was hoping for something that can be kept
> simple.

Sorry, Jürgen, but from your statements it isn’t clear to me how ConTeXt
can fit in you projects: simpler and more readable input code?

> Absolutely. It would be great to see a Context solution for this.

https://www.djdekker.net/ledmac/sample-edition3.pdf contains line
numbers and margin notes. It can be done with ConTeXt.

https://www.djdekker.net/ledmac/sample-edition2.pdf contains multiple
apparatus below critical texts. It might require \setupnote[location=text].

https://www.djdekker.net/ledmac/sample-edition.pdf contains multiple
apparatus at the bottom of the page.

Just in case it might help,

Pablo