On 29 Jan 2022, at 21:30, Joel via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> When I used `\placefigure`, ConTeXt often puts the figure on a completely
> different page, my readership of young students is getting confused where the
> image is. How can I have all of my `\placefigure` in the entire document
> appear exactly where called, even if that means having to place it on a new
> page with lots of space before it or even a new page afterwards? I need it to
> show up in the order it was called. I think
> `\setupexternalfigures[location=]` should provide the solution, but cann't
> figure what is the correct location, I'm not seeing that in the manual
> anywhere.

Use the force Luke...

e.g.
\placefigure [force] [fig1] {Caption} {\externalfigure [filename.png]}

The location= option is for where on the page (e.g. in a margin, in the main
text) the picture will go, the actual page it appears on is controlled by
'here' or 'force' or the default which is to float along until it finds what it
thinks is a good place.

—
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK