Hi Alain,
in my current project I need the same. I use floats and move the externalfigure with \offset; can show you on Tuesday.

e.g.
\startplacefigure[title={},location=left]% or outer...
\offset[topoffset=-1em,leftoffset=-20mm]{%
% it would be nice to have outeroffset/inneroffset
\externalfigure[Schweinehund][width=50mm]}
\stopplacefigure

Hraban