Hi Thomas,

Not sure whether it helps or not, but in regards to combinations and Lua I
have had some challenges as well, but Hans' and Wolfgangs' solution with
externalfigures works fine for me now:

https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2021/103822.html
https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2021/103827.html

Adam