After some visualisations, I found that my token \titlefootnotes will
ALWAYS generate two lines if there is/are any non-zero number of footnotes
there. Interesting. So I need a \newif that each time a \thanks or \email
is invoked, it'll set to true and I'll unskip the 2\lineheight afterwards.

I still don't know why this \kern macro won't have any effect if it's
inside a token or a \startsetup.

--
Best Regards
Chen