Dear juh,

juh via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> writes:

> great to hear that, as my cooperative uses pandoc to produce print stuff
> with ConTeXt, we are always happy, when there are improvements.

I'd love to learn more about your workflow, if you have time to share at
some point!

We chose ConTeXt as the intermediate format for the next iteration of
the JOSS pipeline (the current pipeline is described here:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK579698/)

Big thanks to Denis Maier for convincing me to try and go that route :)

> Am Sun, Jun 05, 2022 at 09:07:37AM +0200 schrieb Albert Krewinkel via
> ntg-context:
>> 2. Similarly, I'd like to start wrapping paragraphs with
>>    `\startparagraph`/`\stopparagraph`. It is important for me to get
>>    properly tagged PDF, but this would also make the output more
>>    verbose. Is that something that you would find bothering, or do you
>>    see adding the extra environment by default as an acceptable
>>    practice?
>
> A similiary question came up in the org-mode mailinglist some weeks ago.
>
> (Background: Org-mode is a markup used with Emacs to make single source
> publishing possible)
>
> Someone who maintains an export programme for ConTeXt uses
> sectionlevels.
>
> You get the incremental subsections and subsubsection like this.
>
> \startsectionlevel
>   \startsectionlevel
>     \startsectionlevel
>     \stopsectionlevel
>   \stopsectionlevel
> \stopsectionlevel
>
> This makes it possible to ignore the part-chapter-section naming
> convention and be more flexible. You can leave it to the style files to
> decide which level is a part, chapter, section etc...
>
> As I do not use this in production – only playing around with emacs and
> org-mode – I cannot say if this is a good way.
>
> Have you considered sectionlevel?
> What is your opinion?

I absolutely see the appeal of that method, and I'd like for pandoc to
support it. The main question is probably whether the default should be
`\startsection` or `\startsectionlevel`. I lean towards making
`\startsectionlevel` the new default, but that might need some more
discussing. I think Denis linked to the respective GitHub issue in his
mail, more comments and opinions are definitely welcome.

--
Albert Krewinkel