On 6/6/22 22:59, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context wrote:
> Am 06.06.22 um 19:14 schrieb Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context:
>
>> \language[gr], but beware since it uses patterns for ancient Greek.
>
> That is documented in the manual languages-mkiv.pdf.

This was news to me before reading lang-def.mkxl.

> I can’t remember where I found the information that el-monoton
> (synonymous to el and gr) and el-polyton (synonymous to agr and grc)
> should be available.

Hyphenation patterns for Greek are three: grc, el-monoton and el-polyton.

Ancient and medieval Greek are hyphenated in a different way than
polytonic Greek before 1982 (when monotonic orthography was introduced
by law).

This is the main reason why three patterns are needed.

But if anyone uses ConTeXt to typeset modern Greek, the different
hyphenation was not noticed (or there was no message to the list).

Pablo