Christopher Creutzig wrote:

Adam Lindsay wrote:
Is it possible to simply enclose the file in a
\startregime[utf]...\stopregime pair or do I risk havoc by doing this?
Well, if you're using a regime, it still (usually) depends on symbolic
character names being defined under the hood. Also, such an approach

Sure.  But editing the file is oh so much easier when I can just type
\def\japChapterNumber#1{第#1章}
than if I have to look up the unicode numbers first and type
\def\japChapterNumber{\uchar{123}{44}#1\uchar{122}{224}}

(explicitly calling \startregime[utf]) doesn't make XeTeX as happy as it
could be (XeTeX is happiest if you just pass through Unicode characters.

If xetex handles utf-8 by just looking at catcodes letter, you don't need a regime; you just have to make sure that when the file is loaded the chars 128->255 have the right catcode

\dostepwiserecurse{128}{255}{1}{\catcode\recurselevel=11\relax}