On 7/20/2022 3:31 PM, Jan Mikkelsen via ntg-context wrote:
Hi,

I had/have a very similar problem on FreeBSD with TeXLive 2021, with the same
context.lua not found message, which I posted about a while ago.

I “resolved” it by setting TEXMF to point to my texmf-dist directory, in my
case /usr/local/share/texmf-dist. It would be nice for it to work without
setting TEXMF.

Without setting TEXMF, running "mtxrun —generate” guesses a little differently,
then attempts to scan all of /usr, and then fails when parts have no read permission.

I suspect it is working when you are in /usr/share/texmf-dist because the
“collapsepath” function in mtxrun is collapsing “/../..” from /usr/bin to “.”
instead of “/“. (Which seems like a bug, but I’m not sure.)

If I run “TEXMF=/usr/local/share/texmf-dist context file.tex” things run
correctly, and a ~/.texlive2021 directory is created. Running
“TEXMF=/usr/local/shared/texmf-dist mtxrun —generate” runs without error but
also doesn’t generate a ~/.texlive2021 directory.

The real problem seems to be that mtxrun doesn’t deal well with the filesystem
layout case of “/top-level/bin/mtxrun” and “/top-level/share/texmf-dist”.
you should not run/mix lmtx with texlive

- we use luametatex as runner for both luametatex and luatex runs
- mtxrun.lua and context.lua are both in the bin path (as usual)
- mtxrun.exe and context.exe are symlinks to luametatex.exe

that is the same for all platforms but in tex live on windows there is some small stub (i'm bot even sure what nowadays) that starts luatex in texlue mode and then loads mtrun.lua; on unix it is supposed to shebang (therefore there mxrun.lua is just mtxrun).

no shebanging in lmtx: as said, just a symlink to the bin that then picks up mtxrun.lua : all operating systmes treated equal.

So, mixing these approaches in unlikelty to work unless one makes sure that before installing lmtx first all traces of mtxrun and context in the bin paths are gone ... even then I'm not sure but others who mix might know.

(btw, why not keep lmtx separate from your texlive installation)