VnPenguin wrote:
You have to re-generate the formats, otherwise nothing will
change. AFAIK, something definately should change in the
output (not certain that it will be right, but ...)

Yes, after modifying the file, I ran "fmtutil --refresh", that's not enough ?

Truthfully, I am not sure.

Since teTeX 3.0 and its non-existent engine support, I  always run

  texexec --make --all

and ignore fmtutil completely. There is just no way for me to keep
my executables apart without engine support. And then there is the
separation between fmtutil-sys and fmtutil for users, so that, even
when you are root, 'fmtutil' is still not a 'system command'.

So: perhaps you now have a format with your changed file, and
perhaps not, I really do not know. If you feel up to it, perhaps
you can send me the utf-8 document in an e-mail message (zipped
or tarred, to prevent e-mail clients' messing with it).

Good luck, Taco