On 9/23/22 12:18, Max Chernoff via ntg-context wrote:
>> Unfortunately, Firefox doesn’t register itself as a PDF viewer (at
>> least on MacOS), that means I can’t use it easily to open a PDF
>> from the command line (e.g. in scripts).
>
> That's odd. You can set it as the default PDF viewer on Windows and
> Linux at least.

Hi Hraban,

I know you wrote scripts, but here you have two links on how to set
another PDF default viewer:

  https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7883441
  https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-change-default-pdf-viewer-on-mac/

And to open PDF documents from scripts, once the default viewer is set,
it seems that "open" is the right way to go (similar to "xdge-open" in
Linux).

>>> […]

I would love that JS worked fine in PDF.js.

I was surprised that not even this worked fine
(https://github.com/mozilla/pdf.js/issues/13918):

  this.pageNum = this.numPages ;

I would love that the kind of presentation contained in
https://free-culture.tk could be displayed as
https://www.vector-video.tk/bga-presvoz.pdf (only Acrobat seems to be
able to deal with it).

If PDF.js could deal with multimedia and JS in PDF, other audio formats
than MP3 (such as Opus) could be used.

>>> Reading annotations works, but you can't modify anything.
>> […]
> Microsoft Edge has decent PDF annotation support. I've never tested
> it on Linux, but a Linux version does exist. Okular also lets you add
> some annotations.

Annotations may be part of a PDF viewer, but the problem is that in some
projects they understand that the feature to add them is part of a PDF
editor (so annotations won’t be added).

I think this is what happened to annotations in Evince (but I may be
wrong here). And I wonder whether PDF.js might take this approach.

Just in case it might help,

Pablo